Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Our Daily Bread

One of the most common foods we eat is bread. Thankfully our dear friends drop off free fresh bread from a bakery about once a week. It's so tasty an helps us save money on bread.
Tuesday I went into the supermarket to buy a loaf of bread (we had just eaten the last of our bread that morning). Boy was I shocked at the price $2.00 for a loaf of bread! That was the cheapest price too.
In our family bread is eaten daily so we could be spending about $14.00 a week on bread. No thank you! So what could we do instead? Make our own, on the days we run out. My DH makes our own pizza bases, and we make our own pasta. So why not make our own bread. I read recently in a great book Clara's Kitchen (by Clara Cannucciari), that her mother use to bake bread twice a week, 6 loaves. I wonder if I could do the same if our free bread had to stop? It is made with basic ingredient's we already have in our pantry. Flour, yeast, olive oil, and salt. And I have made bread before, it just the time that goes into making it. What I mean is how to have fresh bread for school lunches, how much time would I need to have the bread ready to make sandwiches? Something to think about.
But I'm not going to the supermarket for bread anymore.
What do we use our bread for? We use our bread for toast in the mornings, sandwiches, cheese toastes, buttered bread with soup or stew (great for mopping up the last of the stew on your plate), and yummy french toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment