Thursday, July 22, 2010

Waste Not Want Not Soup

One of my favorite soups is Waste Not Want Not Soup. My Nan gave me the recipe (she is now 94, and still a bright spark), and I make it often. It's basically a stock with vegetables soup. Last night I made it with chicken stock (made from the left over bones from our roast dinner at the beginning of the week). Pumpkin, that my husband had chopped for a meal this week. He had chopped to much for us to eat in one meal, so was saved for the soup. Also added a sad looking celery and half a can of leftover baked beans, one large lonely potato someone had put in the fridge, onion and garlic.
Other times it is made with beef stock and different types of sad and lonely vegetables I find in the fridge. I beats throwing out good food. I have not heard any moans from my children when told dinner tonight is Waste Not Want Not Soup. Instead I hear more "whats that yummy smell?" and "Yeah!". It even more filling with some fresh bread and butter.
My Nan raised 7 children through hard times, with this type of good simple food. I thank her for passing it on to me.
Just something more, Christmas savings.
In New Zealand we have 2 major supermarket companies - Progressive Enterpriseses Limited, and Foodstuffs cooperative.  And from them there are 5 major supermarkets - Foodtown, Woolsworth, Countdown, New World, and Pak'n Save. The 3 main ones I use are Countdown, New World, and Pak'n Save. So I have been making the most of their Christmas Clubs and have saved a total of $342.85. The aim is to use these clubs for our grocery shopping for the month of December. And save our grocery money for the coming school year.
Time for me to get children ready for school now.

No comments:

Post a Comment